St. Egidio Abbey
The abbey was founded in 1080 by a noble from Bergamo, Alberto da Prezzate, and had a strong role of remarkable social and economical importance on the Island in the 12th century.
After centuries of decline, thanks to David Maria Turoldo, it came back to life in the second half of the 19th century as a place of spirituality.
The three apses of the church point perfectly to east and are lined with white limestone lesenes supporting a terracotta frieze Lombard band.
In the cloister there is the small chapel that according to legend hosts the tomb of Teiperga, sister of the founder Alberto da Prezzate.
The basilica plan consists of a nave and two aisles covered by wooden trusses and by a central cross vault transept on which the bell tower is inserted, supported by four square columns.
The separation of the nave and aisles is made by two rows of four narrow diameter pillars ending in carved capitals.
Inside you can admire the Renaissance frescos in the absidal opening, where the central image of the Cristo Pantocràtor in almond tree wood stands out, and where there is a big polyptych fresco on the left wall. Of later date are the small fresco on the left of the entrance, depicting St. Antonio Abate and St. Rocco, dated 1532, and the fresco of the apsidal conch on the right, created in 1570 by Cristoforo Baschenis from Averara.